Thursday, June 9, 2011

E3: Day 2

I came to E3 expecting to be able to cross a dream off my list. I figured I'd have a good time, relax, get to see some super exciting stuff, and come back and resume normal life. I'm finding out now that I wasn't really ready for what E3 is, what it represents.

The thing about dreams is that it's very rare that you achieve one without it being replaced by a new one.

Yesterday I talked mostly about what I saw, so it's only fair that today I talk about what I felt. From the moment I saw the outside of the convention up to now, somethings been growing. I've become more and more sure where I want my life to go. I love this industry. I want to be a part of it.

Unfortunately, these thoughts come with a bit of anxiety and stress. I can't help but wonder how I'll make it into the field or what I should be doing. My grades aren't great, I'm still a bit socially awkward, and I didn't really come to E3 prepared to network and meet industry professionals. Beyond that, I'm not really sure what I'd excel at in the video game field. My interest is mostly in hardware, not game development. Tough as they may be to deal with, these thoughts don't make me any less sure that I want to be a part of this. I don't want this to be my last E3. I want this to be my last E3 as a spectator, though. I'd do anything to secure an internship at a game company next summer and come back to E3 as an exhibitor.

I want to be clear that this isn't just the hype talking. It's hard to explain, but there's an instinctual feeling that tells you that you're exactly where you belong and that feeling has never deceived me before. So here's to hoping there's a place out there for me in the gaming industry, and I can find it sooner rather than later. If I can make it across the country and see E3 with my own eyes, anything can happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment